Monday, July 14, 2014

Planning a Memorable Mother Daughter Getaway

It was a last minute decision, but one I will never regret.  I wanted to make plans for my 14 year old freshman and I to get away for a weekend, since she won't have a free weekend for a very long time.  She's getting involved in color guard and lacrosse in high school, so weekends will be a thing of the past for us. We spent the past homeschool year and most of the summer together and needed something fun to do.

First I had to find a place to stay, then I needed to find things to do.  I didn't want to go too far, but create a memorable and relaxing time.  It took me a few hours searching online, but God gave me the one!  Emily had never been to a bed and breakfast, so I made plans for us to stay at  at the Kuebler Waldrip Haus (http://www.kueblerwaldrip.com/) in New Braunfels.  We got the last room they had for two nights on a Saturday and Sunday.  It was rural, which was appealing to the relaxing part of my goal, and I saw they had a fully stocked pond.  I knew she wanted to learn how to fish so that would be one thing we could do fun together.

We could do many other things in the New Braunfels area, outside of San Antonio.  Emily had always wanted to go tubing on the Comal, but we had always spent our time at Schlitterbahn, the world's best waterpark,  instead.  So, I planned to take her tubing on the Comal River, the "longest shortest river in the world." It was a good choice over the Guadalupe River since it stays about 72 degrees year round and has a more family friendly feel.

My plans had to include a nice restaurant.  I'd always wanted to eat at the Gristmill Restauant in the historic district of Gruene.  We'd never made it there knowing they didn't have A/C.  One of my side goals on this trip was to help Emily acclimate to the heat for upcoming guard camp and marching band camp.  Wow, my plans were coming together nicely (patting myself on the back.)

On our trip down IH -35, we could stop at the outlet mall , which we rarely visited, and do another one of her favorite things, shop! So, we had a place to stay with breakfast built in, a restaurant I'd been wanting to go to and a few first time activities, so my planning was done.

Almost...

No comments:

Post a Comment