Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Memorable Mother Daughter Getaway - part 3

Well, that was a bit stressful, but after finding the right road, we could continue following the written instuctions to the Kuebler Waldrip Haus.  The excitement was mounting!

While I knew what the property looked like on the website, Emily hadn't seen any pictures.  The further we drove out of the city, the calmer she became.  Her comments about loving the country made my heart smile, since I grew up in the country.

After driving down a white rock driveway past one building, we pulled up to the stone house.  We walked into an established home after reading the "come in" message on the door.  We found Darryl Kuebler who showed us around.  He gave us our key and we headed to the Danville Schoolroom for a quick tour.  The room is an amazing 863 sq ft one room school room purchased at auction in 1990 by Margaret Waldrip.  It was moved 12 miles to the property and retains the original wood ceiling, walls and floor. It was a wonderful setting for our girl's retreat.  The atmosphere was palpable, and it took me back to the old days when school children of all ages learned together.

Darryl left and we unloaded our belongings, grabbed the fishing gear and headed to the pond at the entrance of the properties, so I could teach Em to fish.  It was a 3 minute walk across the yard and down the rock road.  We put our chairs in the shade and took the tags off the new pole.  Soon I was baiting the wriggly worms on the hook and Emily grossing out.  After a quick lesson, she was casting her line into the pond. I didn't tell her that it had been years and years since I had fished.  I was a confident teacher, hoping the whole event would be a success for her sake.  The heat was the worst part, but we knew we needed to be out in it for her physical training for color guard camp.  She was smiling, casting, and reeling for a short time, then she caught her first few fish and made sure I took pictures.  It was blazing hot, but the fish were biting and I made good on a promise.
She kept thanking me for taking her fishing.  She had so much fun!  More than one goal was accomplished in that hour.  She learned the equipment, technique and reward of catching fish.  She trained her body to withstand the evening heat a bit more.  She practiced her thankfulness and I gladly received it.

It was time to get cleaned up and head to a restaurant, which we did.  The Gristmill was less than 10 minutes away and I had a confident navigator to help me get there.  The small historic district was lined with cars and there were people walking everywhere like the county fair, so we drove on past.  We were getting hungry and just wanted to find a cool place to eat, so she used her phone and called out restaurants as we drove towards New Braunfels and through town until I settled on Schlotsky's.  We ate our sandwiches in the air conditioning, which tasted so good to two hungry fisherwomen.

My trained navigator called out directions and I drove slowly through the country at dusk avoiding a few deer and got us back to the B&B, where we explored our giant room and settled in for the night. We would try the Gristmill Restaurant again the next day after tubing in the morning.  Hopefully one of their ten dining areas would have a table for us in the early afternoon.

Good night...

No comments:

Post a Comment